Sunday, November 27, 2005

Wake up, Dress up...SMILE...CLICK!!



Ever noticed how an outfit can totally change the personality of a person? Over the years, I’ve become this kind of a dress addict that loves to dress for an occasion. Some people love to blog, others cook…I dress-up.

Nope, I was not always like that. I remember the days of boarding school where I would be one of the boys. With the short shaggy hair, and long loose t-shirts. Yep, you’d always find me with the boys – climbing trees, playing, and ofcourse teasing the girls! The parents claim that I had them rather worried there for sometime. As is the case with everything in life, seasons change, and so did I. Sometimes I wonder if it was an overnight thing…did I just wake up one morning with an urge to wear make-up and a mini skirt?

Anyway, getting back to the topic, today happens to be “Ethnic Day” at college. Basically another day, for a bunch of Vetti* (jobless) people to dress up and prance about college. I woke up at an ungodly hour, thinking I’d beat my roomie to the bathroom, and take a leisurely bath. Apparently everyone had the same damn idea. So yeah, as usual ended up waiting.

After quick shower and lot of struggling (liberally sprinkled with profanity), I finally managed to wrap a Sari around myself, and congratulated myself on my good work. All this just in time to catch the bus to college. THIS was another ordeal. Getting onto the bus wearing a sari was like climbing Mount Everest!

Morning time at college was like a Kalyana Mandapam (Marriage Hall). Suddenly all the girls who usually wear jeans, skirts etc were decked up in all their finery. There was an unusually large amount of giggling happening. After an eventful photo session, we all got down to the business of attending class. It just struck me today, that in a different outfit and a different setting, we become different people. All dressed up today, everyone started hugging and kissing one another (the girls! You perverts!!) – you’d think that we were meeting after months! Next was the photo session – Its rather funny you know, in a different outfit one is more than happy to be clicking snaps with people one would otherwise politely ignore in the normal course of a day! I found myself grinning widely into the camera with people whom I have not spoken more than 2 sentences. Who knows, maybe it’s a narcissistic thing. Yippie! I’m in a snap – Who cares who I’m with!!

Anyway, the day turned out rather uneventful otherwise. Blogging was probably the most productive thing I did today. Hmm…I guess maybe it wasn’t such a wasted day after all.

*Vetti – A new word that’s been added to my vocabulary - Curtsy of China

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

so...this calls for a blog with pics of u in ur "traditional" outfit !!!...come on ...after reading abt people decked in glorious costumes, its befitting that we get to see what u were talking all this while

P.S: Me first !!! =)

Quirkilicious said...

vk - Wishful thinking my dear. I'll consider putting up the pictures. Besides, if you really wish to see people decked up, I'd suggest you attend a wedding :) I'm sure you'd find all there is to see ;)

Fanaah said...

I agree! an outfit brings out confidence in a large number of women.
Traditional day was fun, though i must say am impressed how you managed the saree the whole day
hmm n the transition bit-better sooner than later, n im sure u look better- wayyy better now :)

VK said...

@aditi: enna nakkala ??
- Karthigeyan(a.k.a: VK)

Quirkilicious said...

Aaah..So finally the reclusive vk comes out of his shell :) Good job! And just for the record..Ofcourse Nakkal than..pinna what else did you expect..besides I'm sure there are weddings for you to attend in NYC!

Anonymous said...

aha.... its good fun dressing up once in a while in traditional clothes... specially when u r away frm ur homeland

n yes... love the picture babes..!!!

VK said...

hello...intha velayattuku nan varala...vidu joot !

VK said...

and btw...nice pic =P~

Quirkilicious said...

Thanks :)

NN said...

Kalayna Mandappam! rofl!
I'm gonna come in torn jeans and a tank top to your's :D